The Haut-de-jardin level (François-Mitterrand Library) is open to anyone 16 years of age and over. Entrance to the Research Library (François-Mitterrand, Richelieu-Louvois, Arsenal and Opera libraries) housing the heritage collections, is limited to accredited users.
Readers can buy their passes for the Haut-de-Jardin Library in the East Hall. The entrance is free of charge from 5 p.m.
Free entrance on week-ends
From 27 June to 16 August 2015
Every week-end, from Saturday 27 June to Sunday 16 August 2015, the entrance in the Haut-de-jardin Library is free of charge (ask for a 1 day card in the East hall).
Children access to room I (National Centre for youth literature)
Room I (National Centre for youth literature) is open to families on Saturdays and Sundays. Access is free for chidren under 16 years of age. They must be accompanied by an adult in possession of a valid reader's card, up to a limit of three children by adult.
Two reader’s cards
- 1 day card on sale at the pay desks in the East hall (hall Est ).
This card is valid for all reading rooms and is needed each time you enter a room. You may enter and leave the rooms as often as you need to, within the same day.
- Annual card , issued by the Reception desks in the East hall, on presentation of identification.
It is strictly for personal use and valid for one year from the issue date. It includes free access to exhibitions organized by the BnF.
A specific subscription is proposed to private or public companies or institutions: the 'carte Pro'.
Reader’s cards rates
In force from 1st october 2011
Reader’s cards rates The admission is free after 5 p.m. or all day long with an exhibition ticket of the day.
|Type of reader’s cards ||Full rate ||Reduced rate |
|1 day card ||3,50 € ||- |
|Annual card ||38 € ||20 € |10% discount is offered for any renewal of the same reader's card made online.
To be noted
We charge 2 € to replace lost or forgotten cards
On presentation of supporting documents, reduced rates for :
On presentation of supporting documents, exemptions for:
- Students aged less than 35, excluding non-degree students
- Young people aged 16 to 25
- Job seekers
- Recipients of minimum work program income or welfare benefits
- Visitors with disabilities
- Escorts for visitors with disabilities
- Students at the Ecole nationale des Chartes, the ENSSIB and the Institut national du Patrimoine who are completing internships in libraries, museums and national heritage services
- Individuals from any category (civil servants and contractual employees) employed by a French public institution who hold scientific or technical posts in libraries, museums, archives or national heritage services.
- Staff employed by the BnF and retired former employees
To be noted
Owners of following valid passes can buy at a reduced rate the reader's card providing access to the Bibliothèque Haut-de-jardin and the exhibitions.
- Libre Pass Cinémathèque
- Jeu de Paume passes
- Maison européenne de la Photographie passes
- Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe passes
Renewing your subscription online
If you hold an annual reader pass for the Haut-de-Jardin level, you can renew your subscription online.