For security purposes, as part of the vigipirate's public security measures, voluminous luggages, suitcases and bags won't be accepted any longer within the BnF's sites.
Reserving seats at the F.-Mitterrand Library (Site F.- Mitterrand)
In the reading rooms of the Research Library (François-Mitterrand Library), a seat reservation is compulsory; a seat can be reserved for immediate entry.
Before you can reserve a seat or documents, you must hold a valid reader pass for the Rez-de-Jardin level.
Types of seat
Various types of seat can be reserved:
- basic seats to consult printed materials or microforms kept in closed stacks;
- basic seats with internet access: in room X, you can reserve a seat to consult documents in free access and electronic resources but you cannot consult closed-stacks collections;
- basic seats with / or without internet access in 'carrels' spaces: individual spaces to consult documents in free access. In 'carrels' spaces with internet access, a computer is available that also provides access to electronic resources, office softwares and USB port. Closed-stacks collections cannot be consulted;
- seats to consult audiovisual collections in room P (CD-roms, DVD-roms, Video cassettes...);
- seats to consult documents kept in the Rare book reserve (room Y). These collections are available upon motivated request.
- seats reserved for persons with disabilities: in all the reading rooms, the 'Mobilité réduite' seats are easily available. The staff brings to you the documents kept in closed-stacks. In rooms M and U, the 'Cabines de déficience visuelle' (booths for visually-impaired persons) are provided with adapted equipment.
For the same day or in advance, you can:
- reserve seats using the online reservation service, available through the 'Espace personnel' (from 10 a.m. for same-day reservations)
- reserve seats on site from any BnF computer or with the assistance of a librarian.
Seats can also be reserved in advance by calling the following number on Mondays between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Tuesday to Saturday between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. : 00 33 (1) 53 79 57 01.
At the end of the procedure, your will be given a reservation number. You will be assigned a seat as soon as you arrive in the reading room.
If you are delayed or need to cancel a reservation:
- you can cancel or change your arrival time if you are delayed, using the online reservation service available through the 'Espace personnel' . This option is available for both same-day and future reservations.
- you can notify the library by calling 00 33 (1) 53 79 57 01.
To be noted
- You may reserve up to five seats up to 30 days in advance.
- Seats should preferably be reserved from your planned arrival time to ensure that they are available if you are delayed.
- Certain specific types of document (e.g. oversize and microform documents) require a special seat; these seats are allocated at the reading room desk in addition to the reserved seat.
Reserving seats in the Ina THEQUE (room P)
Call the following number: 00 33 (1) 53 79 57 60, or contact the Ina THEQUE reception desk in room P.
Reserving documents at the F Mitterrand Library
A release request must be made to consult closed-stack documents. This request is made using the online reservation service, available through the "Espace personnel". You can make a request on site or online, for the same day or in advance.
In advance, you can order:
- 5 items of printed material
- 5 microforms
- 5 items of audiovisual material.
Document requests can be made up to 30 days in advance. Documents should be requested before 3 p.m. if you wish to consult them the next day. For same-day consultation, you can order:
|Day ||Document type |
| ||Printed material ||Microforms ||Audiovisual material ||Reserve |
|Monday ||8 ||10 ||10 ||10 |
|Tuesday to Friday ||15 ||10 ||10 ||10 |
|Saturday ||10 ||10 ||10 ||10 |
No more than 25 documents may be ordered on any given day.
To be noted
Advance orders may be placed by telephone (up to 3 documents). Documents are reserved using their call number, which must be provided by the reader.
Phone number : 01 53 79 57 01
Opening hours : Mondays 13:00 to19:00,Tuesday to Saturday 09:00 to 19:00
Reserving documents at the Richelieu Library (Site Richelieu) (Manuscripts and Performing Arts departments)
You can prepare for your visit to the Manuscripts or Performing Arts departments by reserving your documents at least 48 hours in advance. To make a reservation, you must hold a valid reader pass that includes access to the Research library.