The Arsenal Library houses the following collections:
7,000 volumes are proposed in free access: catalogues, encyclopaedia, dictionaries, bibliographies and reference documents related to the main subjects considered at the library
Collections on the following topics are available for consultation at the Arsenal Library:
Documents about the following topics are also available:
The richness of the Arsenal Library is also due to its special collections.
Two deposited collections may be consulted by appointment :
The 'Métiers du livre' portal
History of the Arsenal Library
Antoine-René de Voyer d'Argenson, Marquis de Paulmy, Minister of State. Portrait in a medallion, drawn by Charles Louis François Le Carpentier (1744-1822 ) and engraved by Augustin de Saint-Aubin (1736-1807 ), 1751.
The Arsenal’s collections trace their origins back to the library of Antoine René d’Argenson, Marquis of Paulmy, located in the residence of the Masters of Artillery, in the heart of the former Arsenal de Paris.
Keen to avoid its being broken up, Paulmy sold the library in 1785 to the Count of Artois, Louis XVI’s brother, but retained the right of usufruct and continued to add to it.
Sequestered during the revolution as property belonging to an émigré, the collection remained at the site. As a result of revolutionary confiscations, it was expanded via the addition of many volumes from the main Parisian abbeys and the archives of the Bastille.
Throughout the 19th century, the library’s collections increasingly focused on literature and theater, in particular at the instigation of renowned administrators such as Charles Nodier and José-Maria de Heredia.
Incorporated into the réunion des bibliothèques nationales in 1926, the Arsenal Library was attached to the National Library in 1934 and remains faithful to its literary and bibliophilic tradition, as demonstrated both through its acquisitions and through the literary exhibitions and soirées it organizes.
Monday, April 18, 2016
SeeThe "Plaisirs de l'Arsenal" performance-lecture series, about the Arsenal as a place of amusement in the 17th and 18th century.