The Department of Philosophy, History and Human Sciences houses and enhances encyclopaedic collections in the field of human and social sciences. The Department proposes a wide variety of printed and digital documents, either in open access or available on request when housed in closed stacks. It also holds numerous parish bulletins and builds up compendia of ephemeral publications (tracts, mail order catalogues, advertising documents ...).
The Sociétés en débat
resource centre, located in room J of the Reference Library (Haut-de-Jardin level) proposes to focus on major contemporary issues according to a pluridisciplinary approach based on all the disciplines dealt with in the Department.
75706 Paris Cedex 13
© Béatrice Lucchese / BnF
Two possibilities are proposed to readers wishing to use the reading rooms.
- The Reference Library (Haut-de-Jardin level) is open to anyone 16 years of age and over; this library makes encyclopaedic collections available in free access.
- Entrance to the Research Library (Rez-de-Jardin level) is limited to accredited users; at this level, the readers have the possibility to consult the heritage collections.
||From Tuesday to Saturday
|Reference library (Haut-de-jardin level)
|Research library (Rez-de-jardin level)
Closed on public holidays:
- 1 January
- Easter Sunday and Monday
- 1 and 8 May
- Ascension Thursday
- Pentecost Sunday and Monday
- 14 July
- 15 August
- 1 and 11 November
- 25 December
Annual closure of all sites in Paris (François-Mitterrand, Richelieu, Louvois, Arsenal and Opera libraries): from 1 to 10 September 2017.
Documents from closed stack collections (Research library), must be requested before the reading rooms close:
- from Monday to Friday at 17:00,
- Saturday at 16:00 for Printed material and at 17:00 for Microforms, Audiovisual documents and Reserve.