National Library of France
The following collections are available at Richelieu Library.
The current quadrilateral area is organized around the rues de Richelieu, Colbert, Vivienne and des Petits-Champs. The Library has expanded its facilities over this area, from the 18th century until now.
During the second half of the 17th century, the quadrilateral area was made up of the Palais Mazarin, the Hôtel Tubeuf, the Mansart gallery and two buildings housing for the first time the Royal Library: ‘the houses at the end of the gardens’ belonged to Colbert.
The library was set up in the quadrilateral area during the first half of the 18th century.
From 1854 to 1875, it is architect Henri Labrouste, who had formerly designed the Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève, who creates the areas specifically adapted to the running of the library, mainly a reading room known as Labrouste reading room, as well as the main bookstore dedicated to printed books.
Then, from 1875 to 1932, Jean-Louis Pascal and Alfred Recoura build and complete a new reading room: the Oval room.
Between 1932 and 1955, to answer the growth of collections, infil operations (excavation, filling of courtyards, raising of certain places) are managed by Michel Roux-Spitz.
Eventually, a reading room housing the Manuscripts Department is created in 1958 and various fitting-outs are made until 1977 in order to provide enough storing areas for all the collections.
At last, the project of new building in the Tolbiac district allows to house the collections both at François-Mitterrand Library and at Richelieu Library. The re-organization of the departments’ collections left in the quadrilateral area was completed in 1997.
The Labrouste reading room during renovation; Richelieu Library
© Jean-Christophe Ballot / BnF
Major alterations concerning the Richelieu quadrilateral area have started in 2010; it is planned to last between 7 and 8 years.
The renovation programme aims to modernize and re-organize facilities to improve preservation conditions and offer researchers better working conditions. The refurbished quadrilateral area will also house the libraries of the recently created Institut de l’histoire de l’art and the one of the École nationale des Chartes.
Thursday, January 29, 2015