National Library of France
Collections and services
P. Louÿs, Les Chansons de Bilitis, 1895 ; reliure de Lortic, d'après des maquettes de Giraldon
Its collections include the following:
Archives of Georges Perec and the OulipoTwo deposited collections, the archives of Georges Perec and of the Oulipo, may be consulted by appointment :
Specific collections :
History of the Arsenal Library
The Arsenal’s collections trace their origins back to the library of Antoine René d’Argenson, Marquis of Paulmy, located in the residence of the Masters of Artillery, in the heart of the former Arsenal de Paris.
Keen to avoid its being broken up, Paulmy sold the library in 1785 to the Count of Artois, Louis XVI’s brother, but retained the right of usufruct and continued to add to it.
Sequestered during the revolution as property belonging to an émigré, the collection remained at the site. As a result of revolutionary confiscations, it was expanded via the addition of many volumes from the main Parisian abbeys and the archives of the Bastille.
Throughout the 19th century, the library’s collections increasingly focused on literature and theater, in particular at the instigation of renowned administrators such as Charles Nodier and José-Maria de Heredia.
Incorporated into the réunion des bibliothèques nationales in 1926, the Arsenal Library was attached to the National Library in 1934 and remains faithful to its literary and bibliophilic tradition, as demonstrated both through its acquisitions and through the literary exhibitions and soirées it organizes.
Friday, November 14, 2014
SeeThe "Plaisirs de l'Arsenal" performance-lecture series, about the Arsenal as a place of amusement in the 17th and 18th century.