Preservation: expertise and services
The National library of France offers preservation services related to its production activities to external institutions, libraries and archives.
For restoration, disinfection, deacidification and analysis services, the transportation, documents insurance and travel expenses are to be borne by the applicant.
Expertise in preservation
Experts from the BnF Preservation Department are available to provide assistance and advice to professionals, in their field of expertise: micrographics, digitisation, binding, restoration, environmental control, mold infestation or disaster management, control of preservation equipment etc.
Expertise services on site:
Daily rate: 320 euros + VAT per day and per person
Half-day rate: 160 euros + VAT per person
Additional costs : travel and mission expenses (based on rates applied by the public service).
This service includes the production of an appraisal report.
By exception, emergency expertise services following a major disaster are free of charge except for transportation cost.
- Micrographics/Film reproduction
- Organisation and technical aspects
- Digital equipment
- Preservation of digital data :
Binding and preservation materials
- Implementation of contracts for mechanised binding, quality handcraft, thumbmounting.
- Preservation equipment and supplies
- Technical expertise for bindings, preservation equipment and enclosures.
- Implementation of contracts for restoration treatments
- Implementation of schedules of conditions
- Technical expertise of collections
- Assessment of deteriorations, proposals of treatments
- Collection care and preservation treatments
- Analysis in organic and inorganic chemistry
- Stéphane Bouvet
- Nathalie Buisson
- Biological analysis / Environmental control
- Curative treatment (disinfection)
- Annie Bonnaud
- Alain Lefebvre
- Organisation of individual and collective preservation workshops (initiation and proficiency courses)