The laboratory’s main role is to provide assistance and advice to staff responsible for preserving collections (curators and restorers belonging to BnF and agreed partner libraries), as well as to respond to requests from other institutions.
BnF’s scientific and technical laboratory, which has four chemists and three biologists, is based at two main sites: the Richelieu Library (Site Richelieu) and Bussy-Saint-Georges.
Examples of internships undertaken at the laboratory:
- INP restoration department – end-of-course internship:
- 2004 books section: “A study of the mechanical behavior of a 15th century illuminated manuscript in a 16th century binding”
- 2005 photography section: “Study and restoration of an oversize glass plate photograph – an ambrotype”
- 2006 books section: “Research into a splitting method applied to an 18th century English print: assessing the efficacy of and level of humidity caused by poultices”
- BTS advanced diploma in Chemistry – first year internship: “Study of VOCs emitted by packaging boxes”
- BTS advanced diploma in Chemistry – end-of-year internship: “Study of VOCs emitted by books and packaging boxes”
- BTS advanced diploma in Microbiology – first year internship: “Microbiological assessment of five glues used by restorers”
- BTS advanced diploma in Microbiology – first year internship: “Efficacy of dusting on developing and dry molds”