- Evolution of documents consultation for the Research library on the François-Mitterrand site
- The Help Center allows you to find all your answers to the evolution of documents consultation
The Research Pass
Rez-de-jardin of the François-Mitterrand Library (over 1200 seats),
Richelieu Library (Manuscripts, Prints and Photography, Performing Arts, Coins, Medals and Antiques, Music, Maps),
Opéra libraries (Music)
Accueil de la BnF © David Paul Carr / BnF
3 passes to choose from
- 1-Day research pass
- 5-Day research pass (consecutive or not)
These two passes grant you free circulation during your day in all reading rooms of the Research Library as well as on all our sites. They don’t have an expiry date.
- Unlimited Research Pas
This pass additionally grants you free access to the Library (Haut-de-jardin) reading rooms (François-Mitterrand site), exhibitions, and events at the BnF.
The research pass can be completed by access/passes to partner libraries of INHA (National Institute for Art History), Ina (National Audiovisual Institute), and CNC (National Center for Cinema and the Moving Image) upon specific research justificatory documents.
The 3 passes are valid for one year from their delivery date. They are strictly personal.
- Yearly unlimited research pass : 55 € (full fare) / 35 € (reduced fare)
- 1-Day research pass : 6 €
- 5-Day research pass jours : 24 €
Access and admission prices
- You have to be over 18 years old.
- You need to show proof that you are conducting academic, professional or personal research work.
The consultation of Heritage collections is chiefly meant for extended, long-term research. It can also respond to short-term research, especially in case of not being able to find a document in other libraries.
Master and postgraduate students, higher education teachers and researchers may register directly online or onsite at the Inscription desk. They will need to provide justificatory documents (see below) upon retrieving their pass.
BA level students or any person with a personnal or professional research project may get a Research pass upon presentation of justificatory documents (see below) presented during an interview with the Inscription Service at the François-Mitterrand or Richelieu libraries.
Attention! The inscription Service closes at 7 pm. No accreditation can be delivered past this time.
A valid piece of ID (with a photograph):
- Identity card
- Residency permit
- Resident card
- Driving license
For university and professional research
This card is aimed exclusively at companies and private or public organizations, including one man-businesses, independent workers and artisans. It offers yearly access and specific services and is obtained by mail only. Contact : email@example.com
Buying a pass
Fort first-time purchases and renewals, you can get your research pass (1-Day, 5-Day, unlimited):
- On-site (Richelieu and François-Mitterrand libraries),
- Online with a credit card
Passes must be retrieved at the greeting desks by the holder upon presentation of supporting documents. It is personal and cannot be let.
If you want to get to know the Library and navigate the spaces or know which offer is better suited to you, your research or expectations, we offer a bespoke service for everyone including non-ticket holders. You can access the service:
- By making an online appointment and selecting a 30-minute slot
- Without appointment at the Inscription Service at the François-Mitterrand or Richelieu Library
Our digitized library Gallica allows you to consult many documents, on-site and online.