- Evolution of documents consultation for the Research library on the François-Mitterrand site
- The Help Center allows you to find all your answers to the evolution of documents consultation
For the first time in France, many original manuscripts and drawings by J. R. R. Tolkien are on display. This is the opportunity to discover or to rediscover both the famous and lesser-known literary works that recount the story of Middle-earth. In parallel, a selection of exceptional pieces, most of which are from the BnF’s collections, provide a context for this literary and artistic creation.
Focus on the exhibition
Vincent Ferré, Professor in comparative literature at Université Paris Est-Créteil
Frédéric Manfrin, Head of Philosophy, History and Human Sciences Department, BnF
Associated curators : Élodie Bertrand and Émilie Fissier, BnF
In partnership with the Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford and The Raynor Memorial Libraries - Marquette University,
With the Tolkien Estate and Tolkien Family,
In partnership with Le Monde, Télérama, Connaissance des arts,France Télévisions, France Culture
TOLKIEN ® is a registrated trademark of the Tolkien Estate Limited.
In application of the Vigipirate (anti-terrorist) plan, only the East entrance is opened.
From Tuesday to Sunday
10am > 7pm
Thursday until 9pm
10am > 9pm
Closed on Monday and during bank holidays.Ticketing services 10am-6pm / until 8pm on Thursday.
Please note, due to strike action and limited transportation services, opening hours may be modified. See the home page for more information.
A series of discussions with descendant Adam Tolkien and with Tolkien experts will revisit the multifaced works of the author.
- Autour de l’exposition Tolkien, voyage en Terre du Milieu – Adam TolkienThursday 14 November 2019
- Autour de l’exposition Tolkien, voyage en Terre du Milieu – Leo Carruthers Thursday 21 November 2019
- Autour de l’exposition Tolkien, voyage en Terre du Milieu – Damien Bador Thursday 28 November 2019
- Autour de l’exposition Tolkien, voyage en Terre du Milieu – Isabelle Pantin Thursday 5 December 2019
- Autour de l’exposition Tolkien, voyage en Terre du Milieu – Alan Lee Thursday 12 December 2019
The BnF and Musée de l’Armée will organize a colloquium on ”Tolkien and the War” on 24 and 25 January 2020.